Labels

14 February 2010

Busy Bee!

Gosh Arabella, you have been a busy bee!  Love the slippers!  No wonder your man was willing to pose with them on.  And I love the PhotoShop effect!  Thanks for the link, I'll have a read sometime soon.  I can do with some lessons.

I happen to know quite a few people who would dearly love to receive these slippers as presents!  One of these fine days you'll find that you no longer have to spend a cent at Xmas or for birthdays!  UK Chick and her Butter Chick would adore a pair of them.  Especially in bright colours.

We'll be going along to visit our 'Clucky Mummy' (can't call her Preggy Chick anymore, can we?) this afternoon (by invitation, please tell your man) so I might well make some of those muffins you've been blogging about.  They look delicious. 

I know I've dropped the ball when it comes to 'blogging' this past week and I apologise sincerely, but I've been very much otherwise occupied.  'Work' has kept me very busy when I've not been visiting our littlest chickadee and her 'Clucky Mummy' (by invitation, I assure you all). 

What a joy to hold your grandchild in your arms!   Such a special blessing and one I will never take for granted.  Each moment is a gift.

There is nothing that makes my heart happier than seeing my chickadees happy.  Knowing that they are loved by their 'other halves' makes my heart sing (how's that for a truly 'soppy', but very sincere sentiment?) and as it's Valentine's Day today, I think that's a wonderful feeling to share. 

I have to say that I sometimes wonder about all these 'special' days that are marketed so well.

If we can't show our love to those we truly care about every day of the year, then do we truly love and care for them?  That is the question. It doesn't take chocolates, red roses, wine or soppy cards to show them we love them (although they are truly appreciated, always!).  It's the 'little' things we do each day that say it loudest.

My man has been getting up every morning for the past 16 years to make me coffee.  I did it for the first 20 years of our marriage and I can't really remember the catalyst for the change over, but he never quibbles. Each morning I get my coffee, in a very large mug, milk boiled to perfection (I know, the milk shouldn't be boiled, but I love it this way), just the right amount of coffee, and best of all... served to me in bed!  Somedays it's instant coffee (Mocha Kenya, still the best I can buy... why would we want to drink cheap coffee at home and then go out and pay big bucks for a coffee in a cafe?), someday's it's perfect, fresh plunge coffee.  It makes me feel cherished.

My father got up at 5am every day of his working life.  He made all the sandwiches, put a pot of coffee on the stove to percolate while he polished his shoes, washed, shaved, dressed and then he'd served us all coffee in bed before he left to catch his train.  For those of you who are wondering why my mother didn't do this... well, she got up at 5:30 and we all left for work/school by 6am during summer and 6:30am during winter.  This was my dad's way of giving his three 'girls' a gift of love.  Everyday.

My man has been buying/bringing me flowers out of the blue, all our married life.  Today he takes great joy in presenting me with freshly cut roses from my garden.  I love that he does this knowing how much I love it when he gives them to me.  I could cut them myself, but it wouldn't be the same.  This is our 'thing'.  

This is a photo of one of my lovely  David Austin roses in full bloom, just verging on being 'past it'... 

 

This is what it looked like when it began to open...


My father has always presented me (unbidden) with gifts of music that he knew I'd enjoy.  He once went out and looked for a record called Ogden's Nutgone Fruitflake for me, simply because he met a young man on the train who told him it was great.  It was so 'out there', at the time, that I couldn't get over the fact that my dad had gone out to buy it for me.  Today, he brings me CD's of the African music I miss so much.  Pennywhistle.  Drums.  Singing.  My collection grows and on the days that I sit down at my sewing machine the beat throbs through the house while I sew.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I feel loved every day, in every way.  My chickadees show it by keeping in regular contact and by sharing their lives even though I'm sure they have far more interesting things they could be doing instead.  It makes my heart sing to hear their voices or read their emails. I love that they're willing to put their arms around me and give me a huge hug no matter who's watching!  It's wonderful to be such a big part of their lives. Such a huge blessing!

So.  Excuse me if I play 'Pollyanna' again, but isn't life just wonderful?  We love and are loved in return.  What more could anyone ask for?

When my kids were little and asked what I'd like for a present at Xmas or on my birthday I always said the same thing!  "Good kids!"  I have my good kids!  It might be overcast outside, but the sun is shining brightly in my world today.

May the sun shine brightly on your faces.

April Blackbird

No comments: