Labels

28 April 2010

An Attitutde of Gratitude - No.2

This has to be a quick post... I'm off to the dentist to have my broken filling fixed.

I am grateful for the wonder of modern flight.  Yes, despite the fact that planes were grounded due to volcanic ash, one has to wonder at our ability to board a flight in one place and arrive (sometimes many hours later) in another place.  It never ceases to amaze me.

My grandfather travelled to South Africa from Great Britain by ship and it took him weeks!  He met and married my grandmother in South Africa just after the First World War.  His parents never got to meet their new daughter-in-law or their seven grandchildren.  It was too far and far too expensive to travel as we do to-day.

So, for all of you who have become so accustomed to travelling around the world quickly (and cheaply, believe it or not), this is my reminder to you of how things used to be.

If you haven't done so yet, you might like to give thanks for this wonderful 'tool' we take so for granted in our lives.  We have only to look at how the grounding of planes has affected everyone (commerce, industry and the man in the street) to begin to understand what it would be like if we weren't able to travel so freely anymore.

Goodness only knows how these past few weeks are going to affect the economy of the world.  This ain't over yet.

April Blackbird

No comments: