Labels

26 August 2010

Food for thought #4

This week's news announced that alcohol abuse is costing Australia $36million pa.  The link will take you to a great article on the where/why/how of it all. I won't try to re-invent the wheel, it's all been said before.

It's seriously sad stuff.

For years I had a totally unsympathetic (and in retrospect, terribly judgemental) outlook on this huge subject.  I'd like to think that I'm wiser and more empathetic now, but I still don't have an answer as to how to curb the problem.

I do know that I have 'young corn on the land' and I'd like to see a workable solution to this social problem asap.

If you were 'in charge' and were able to influence policy, what would you do to bring about a real change in this area?

I'll get the ball rolling:
  • show real life pictures of the ravages of boozing on people's faces and bodies - 
    • show 'before' and 'after' photos  
    • put them up in bus stops, railway stations, schools, shops, hotels, pubs, village centres, medical rooms
    • broadcast interviews on TV and radio
    • appeal to our ingrained 'vanity'
 April Blackbird

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the way you describe your 'young corn on the land'. This is indeed an issue that is not really addressed, particularly not in the same way as drugs are. So easy to abuse. Write and suggest this to ....? Your local council? NZ health authority? I'm sure they'd be interested to hear feedback.
BB